Thursday, February 18, 2010

You might have to brush your teeth twice.

My friend makes the best tzatziki I have ever tasted and considering the success I have had recently with having people divulge their secret recipes, I tried for one more. And won.

I will now share the joy with you.

You will cheesecloth. It took me approximately 17 minutes to find it in the grocery store (like many of the male gender that I know, I don't ask for directions.) You'll also need a garlic press. Honestly, I don't know why you don't own one already.

Other than that you'll need 5 cloves of garlic (or less, if you're a pansy,) extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, half an English cucumber and plain yogurt (Mediterranean styles.)

First you will line a colander (or sieve, if that's what you call it) with cheesecloth and place it over a bowl. Pour the yogurt on top of the cheesecloth and let it sit for about an hour (I left it for 2 hours and it was still dripping) so as to get rid of all the water in the yogurt.

I was really surprised by how much water came out. After an hour the bowl looked like such:

And it was double that in double the time.

When you are satisfied, pour the yogurt into a bowl (or a container that you'll store it in when it's all finished.) Grate the cucumber and add it to the yogurt, but try and avoid adding the water from the cucumber into the yogurt or the entire straining process is basically useless.

It may look like a lot of cucumber but it's really not. Once it's all mixed in you don't even see any green.

Add the oil and salt and mix it well.












Then, crush the garlic til you can't crush it no more.



And then mix it all over again, make sure there aren't any chunks of garlic stuck together (unless you're into that sorta thing.)

Some people like to let it sit in the fridge for awhile but who could really resist enjoying it right away??



Yes, please.

1 comment: