Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sweet Cheek Baboushka

As much as I love baking, I don't usually eat much of what I create. I like to taste everything, but if I have more than one brownie or cupcake I feel a like exploding all over the place because I've been staring at the damn things from when they were ingredients to their final result. UNLESS we're talking about Russian Tea Cakes. I could eat 10 of them in one sitting (and then inevitably want to die) because they are just so damn amazing.

I'd only ever had them as a Christmas tradition thanks to a friend's mom, but this year decided to attempt the little Russian balls myself. It worked. And I found myself with yet another unhealthy addiction.



The trick is that you roll them around in confectioner's sugar right off the cookie sheet (goodbye fingertips) and the sugar melts into a glaze of killer sweetness, and then once their completely cooled you roll them around a second time just to ensure that everyone who indulges will suffer a coronary. The first time I made them with macadamia nuts ($$$$) but I've also used almonds and walnuts and of course they are just as delicious. The recipe is insanely simple (and can be found in most cookie recipe books or anywhere online) and they only bake for 7-8 mins.

As for something else I enjoy, sugar cookies.




I like them plain and without icing but certain people desire the extra blob of frosting on top. I concede to the masses.



I don't know why I decided to use cookie cutters for these ones, but I regretted it immediately. Other than the cute little stars it seems pretty lame making heart and flower-shaped cookies when they're for people in their mid-20s. I think next time I will stick with the simple round shape and the masses can deal with their disappointment by shoving another cookie in.

No comments:

Post a Comment